Monday, December 22, 2008

Celebrating Diversity with My Baby Clothes Store

I'm really proud of the way that my online store, Little Characters, honors diversity.

If you're looking for cute baby clothes that feature babies with a range of skin tones, then please follow the link to my shop. I've drawn over fifty designs to print on infant and toddler T-shirts, onesies, and bibs for under $20. You can click on any of the pictures below to buy those products.













Some of my designs were specifically created to celebrate African-American culture and achievements. For example, I have a series of Kwanzaa designs and it was important to me to offer a range of skin tones in these, too. Obviously, not every "black" baby will have the same shade of skin. Another example is my series of Political designs celebrating Obama's victory. Having an african-american President is something we should all be proud of, and I want the images on my products to inspire a sense of shared pride - not division.









I do my best to avoid stereotyping and token tributes. EVERY design I draw is available with a variety of skin tones. I am careful to select the drawings of dark-skinned babies to display for many designs, because I don't believe caucasian or white should be treated as the default. I am very happy to do a custom drawing for anyone, so that the baby in the design looks as much like your baby as possible.

The first principle of my faith is to "affirm and promote the inherent worth and dignity of every person", and I strive to apply that value with my little business.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice selection of beautiful baby clothes.! Those onesies are looking cool and cute.