Thursday, September 18, 2008

Challenge for Muslim Holiday Baby Clothes

Okay, I'm adding to this blog now that I've had some responses about the Eid designs on babycenter.org

A couple of people on the parenting board explained that some Muslims believe it is forbidden to have images of animate things. Other Muslim mothers on the board said they don't think that is true - as long as the images are not idolatry.

I was surprised to find this out, and I feel bad that I have offended some people. That was the opposite of my intention.

I'm going to try to draw some designs that don't have any people in them - though that isn't my usual drawing style at all. One of the mothers said she would like balloons, so I think I'll try to draw a stroller or baby carseat with balloons that spell an Eid message. Someone else (or maybe it was the same mom?) said she'd like a Ramadan design, so I think I'll try to draw a baby bottle with a band of geometric designs (like Islamic art) and some kind of joke message about not fasting yet.

I have no idea if I'll be able to finish drawing these in time for anyone to actually get them for the holidays, but I think it's worthwhile to try to make up for my mistake. I want to make sure that if I'm going to say I'm offering products for all of the main religions, that I'm offering products that are actually inclusive and accessible to most of the people in those traditions.

1 comments:

The LemonDrop Tree said...

your awesome! thanks for doing this and being so understanding about our beliefs!